5 Types of Self-Care
1. Physical Self-Care- Your body needs fuel to run properly. How are you taking care of your body from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed each night? When you are taking proper care of your body (getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and exercising), you are providing the fuel you need to function and be the best version of yourself.
2. Mental Self-Care- Your thoughts and the things you fill your mind with effect your mental well-being. Start your day with positive thoughts (words of affirmation). If you enjoy reading, take a few minutes to read a few pages to keep your mind sharp. Are you doing things to stimulate your mind? This can be done by completing puzzles, playing word games, or diving into a new hobby that challenges you.
3. Spiritual Self-Care- Do you have a deep sense of yourself? You can nurture your spirit by gaining a deeper understanding and connection with the universe. Try meditating and sitting with your thoughts that connect you to your inner self. This does not have to have a religious connection.
4. Emotional Self-Care- Having healthy coping mechanisms is important when it comes to taking care of yourself. How do you deal with anxiety, sadness, or anger? Explore ways to deal with your emotions, such as an activity that allows you to express your feelings in a safe and positive way.
5. Social Self-Care- Be social and connect with others, it's crucial to your self-care. Regardless of your busy schedule, try your best to make time for those who support and love you. Cultivating healthy relationships with family and friends will improve your overall well-being and socialization skills.
Pathways Transition Programs, Inc. 120 E Trinity Place, Decatur, Georgia 30030 404.378.2300 © 1991 — 2022 All rights reserved.